Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sparknotes.com: The Bastardized Version of Electronic Texts

Remember cheating on your middle/high school reading assignment but just reading Cliffs Notes? Well now you don't even have to waste a trip to the bookstore!

I must admit, I'm just as guilty of this as the next person. Sparknotes.com has not only created a large library of book summaries, it has taken things a step further. I came across this service by accident one night, in a fit of finals week desperation. Being ever the Shakespeare illiterate, I was assigned to write a paper on a book I did not understand (at least not enough to write 1500 words about). At about 1:00 AM, I gave up trying to decode the dark depths of Othello, and resigned myself to consult Sparknotes. I figured I would at least find a starting point for a paper.

What I found would probably shock you. Sparknotes now has a small library of Shakespeare texts that it completely "translates," a free online service they call "No Fear Shakespeare." You can now read a line from Julius Caesar that says "Trebonius doth desire you to o'er-read, at your best leisure, this his humble suit," and it is "translated" in the second column as "Trebonius wants you to look over his humble petition, at your leisure." Click here to see the rest of the text.

Video for "the next couple of days:" Who doesn't love this cartoon? I used to wish I was in this family. Actually, I kind of still do.

No comments: