Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mobile Technology-- or Why I Can't Survive Without the Internet

Wireless Internet and I have a rocky relationship. I liken it a lot to the relationship between a druggie and his or her fix of choice. It has spoiled me into thinking that I can be connected to the Internet, and when I can't be-- there are problems. There is nothing more disappointing to me than lugging my laptop around, only to find that I can't be connected to some wireless network at my chosen location. There are few things more disheartening in life than seeing the phrase "no wireless network detected."

Why have I and-- more importantly-- everyone become so dependent on being connected to other people?

With the sudden onslaught of smartphones such as the Palm and the Blackberry, searching for a wireless network is no longer a problem. You are the wireless network. While I have yet to give in to "the Blackberry craze," (I'm about to, as soon as my current wireless contract is over so I can get a cheap one.) it seems that everyone around me has. No longer just a tool for businessmen and women on the go, the smartphone has become a mainstay of anyone and everyone. Why did it somehow become a need to be connected 24 hours a day? Do you really need to check your e-mail on the bus on the way to class? Not really.

It's as if we have become more social in the electronic world and less social in the real world. Here's some advice. Next time you see a friend on the bus, put down your Sidekick and have a real conversation. Your Facebook account will be there when you get back. Promise.

Video of "the next couple of the days": This is by far my favorite show when I was little. I actually remember myself hearing it come on in the living room and would drop whatever I was doing to come watch it. My mom taped the Christmas special when I was 4, and I have since watched it at Christmas EVERY year. My 6 year old sister has now become a fan. So here's the opening sequence of the Christmas special. Enjoy!

No comments: